Professional Barista Course
This course is designed to provide you with a thorough grounding in the skills and knowledge required to work as a professional barista. The course content starts with the basics of knowing what a great coffee looks, smells and tastes like; introduces you to Latte art skills and how to create coffees under time pressure – during coffee rush hour.
The Professional Barista Course prepares you with the practical skills and knowledge needed to become a top Barista. Here’s what is covered in this intensive 2 session course –
Session 1 – Professional Coffee Making (Duration: 4 hours)
- Explore the history of coffee;
- Gain insights into how coffee is grown, blended and roasted;
- Learn how a good coffee should look, smell and taste;
- Experience some great and bad coffee examples;
- Learn to achieve a perfect extraction;
- Discover –
- Why is milk so important?
- What is the right milk temperature?
- How to texture silky creamy milk?
- Learn the different types of coffee served in a cafe and how to make them;
- Find out how the espresso machine works –
- How to do basic maintenance tasks such as grind setting, dose setting and grind adjustment;
- How to adjust an incorrect grind to achieve a perfect 30ml in 30 seconds extraction; and
- How to clean and check equipment such as seal and shower screens;
Session 2 – Introduction to Coffee Art (Duration: 2 hours)
- Practice advanced milk texturing;
- Learn how to create beautiful coffee art; and
- Learn how to make artistic finishing touches to your expresso coffees;
This 2-part course is run over one day with 6 hours of industry relevant training.
Each class is limited to six (6) students for you to get plenty of one-on-one teaching from our professional Barista. You also receive detailed course notes and instructions, as well as a Home Barista Institute Coffee Art DVD to take with you once the course is over.
On successful completion of this course you receive a Certificate detailing everything you’ve learned.
This course is for people wanting a career as a professional barista, people wanting to start their own coffee business, café or restaurant owners who need to get staff trained in coffee making.
There are no formal entry requirements for this course.
If you are interested in learning how to make coffee for your own pleasure, the Home Barista Class may be a better choice for you.